Pages

Wednesday 30 September 2020

Beyond the Point of No Return: A Poem

For what seemed an aeon, I searched in vain
for the fabled Ladder to the Stars.
With so much loss and yet so little gain,
close I came – but still, no cigars.
 
On I trod in the steps of Greater Men,
with nothing but the goal in mind.
And one mile turned to two, seven leagues to ten;
these greater men guiding the blind.

Entrance to a cave.

Then I stopped in my tracks one fateful day,
beyond the Point of No Return.
I asked strangers heading the other way:
“What do you know that I might learn?”
 
One lady amongst their ranks smiled at me,
and put her hand on beating heart.
“In there, you will find sweet freedom,” said she,
“and learn timeless alchemical art.”
 
“The ego likes to think that it’s the king,
but it’s a product of the brain.
The Deep Self is a secret, hidden thing,
and its destiny is to reign.”
 
“I’ve been to the Land of the Midnight Sun,
and I’ve seen the Emerald Tower.
And I know the product of One times One,
and I’ve felt Love’s grace and power.”
 
“And if you’d like to taste this wine, my friend,
then please feel free to walk our Way.
And we’ll show you such wonders without end,
and we will help you if you stray.”
 
“It's not too late to change the drink you sup,”
she said – something that rang a bell.
“Listen: a ladder’s not just for climbing up,
it is for climbing down as well.”
 
“You won’t find the answer in a thousand years,
if you don’t search deep down inside.
The Treasure’s in the mine, you see, my dears.
Where else would Truth and Love abide?”
 
And with that I spun round upon my heel,
and walked with the lady some way.
She it was who taught me to see and feel;
much Wisdom did herself convey.
 
Later, I looked back at my merry band,
and the sight: it caused me much pain.
The lady smiled and lightly squeezed my hand:
“Don’t worry, we’ll all meet again.”
 
“I’ve been to the Land of the Midnight Sun,
and I’ve seen the Emerald Tower.
And I know the product of One times One,
and I’ve felt Love’s grace and power.”
 
~ ET. Yorkshire, England, © Wednesday 30 September 2020.
 
Image: Kozarnika cave - entrance.
Image author: Vassia Atanassova - Spiritia.
Image source: Wikimedia Commons.
Image licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0).