Pages

Wednesday 16 May 2012

Reference your books with a wiki notepad

If you need to keep a track of facts in your books, such as the storyline, characters, places and events -- especially throughout a series -- it's well worth looking at desktop applications that are a cross between a wiki and a notepad, such as WikidPad and ZuluPad. You can easily get hold of free versions of both of these programs to run on a PC and have your very own off-line "Wikipedia" for your books.

I've actually written my own, "Wiki Notepad" in VB.NET with an embedded Firebird/Interbase SQL database, as I wanted to expand the features and make the pages more readily accessible and fully searchable.

It's a neck of a lot easier than wading through the pages of half a dozen previous books to find out, for example, the term of endearment a character usually uses for their spouse, and far more reliable than memory.


Sorry, Wiki Notepad is not publically available, however, as it's still in development. As I enter more data, I keep discovering new features I'd like to add or existing features that need tweaking, so it's going through new versions daily.

• By Etienne de L'Amour ~ Google+